Thursday, June 25, 2015

So I haven't posted yet this week because I am  at a conference in Scranton, PA. We have a group of 50 or so private schools around the country here and we discuss our common goals because we are all the same type of private catholic school. One topic that keeps getting brought up here is the idea of one to one technology. Most of the schools here are in the first few years of going one to one, as is my school, and its really great to hear about how other schools are using the technology in their classes. I have able to find new apps and math applications of technology that I would not have found on my own. In one session, I learned about a site called ClassCraft. This is an online "game" for students that is really a behavior management tool for the classroom. If any of you are classroom teachers with one to one technology, I would encourage you to look into it. The teacher giving the presentation talked about how much it has changed his class. Another site I learned about is Educannon. I haven't explored it myself yet, but from what I was told, the website has students watch youtube videos, stops at certain points to ask the students questions, and will not allow the students to fast-forward the video. That can be really useful in a class setting. I can't wait to try out some of this in my class next year!

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely checking out those sites, Kasey. Educannon sounds like Nearpod, which is a way for you to integrate questions into a powerpoint you push out to the students. It sounds like the site you mentioned does it for you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Educannon is a GREAT site - highly recommend!! Look for videos created by other teachers that already have questions added so you don't have to start from scratch!

    A colleague introduced me to ClassCraft this year, and I have been toying with using it in my room as well! It sounds awesome, but I have never met anyone that actually used it before. Where there any major "selling points" for you that you heard at your conference that made you really want to try it?

    ReplyDelete