Tuesday, June 30, 2015

After attending my conference last week, I've been doing a lot of research on uses of ipads in the classroom. Our school has used ipads for the past two years and there has been mixed reviews from some teachers. I have been skeptical at times as well to if this is really helping them because all the student seem to want to do is play games. At this conference though I heard an analogy that I loved. When you give a child a pencil, they'll scribble until you teach them to write. Now that we are giving students ipads, they are going to play games until we teach them how to use it as a tool. I never thought of it this way. I guess since they grew up with technology, I just assumed they would know how to use it in the educational setting, but how would they unless we teach them. In my research on the topic, I did find something that was pretty helpful too. There's a program called Casper Focus which allows teachers to lock which apps students can access in their class. This is a great idea for when you are teacher students to use their ipads. When they enter as freshman, have them always log into this program. Then, throughout high school have them use it less and less. It will slowly teach them responsibility. It does cost money, but I can see great advantages to it. 

1 comment:

  1. I like your analogy :)
    The program that only allows students to access certain apps sounds like it could really be helpful in the classroom. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete