Tuesday, July 7, 2015

I've set a goal for next school year of using the idea of a flipped classroom on a very regular basis. I recently talked to a teacher that uses a flipped classroom ever day, which I don't think I want to do just yet. However, its a great teaching strategy and I want to use it way more this year. I read this blog post http://www.edutopia.org/blog/flipped-classroom-ramsey-musallam and realized I spent too much of class time on lower level thinking and have the students use their higher level thinking at home. I want to switch this because I want to be there to help the students with the more difficult material in class. This is why I have started creating videos for each of my lessons. I don't plan on using the flipped classroom idea everyday but if I have videos for each lesson, I can use them whenever I do decide to flip the class. Then, I can post all the videos too for students to use as review for the assessments. I also found this site that I thought was helpful on how to flip the classroom. http://ctl.utexas.edu/teaching/flipping-a-class/how

2 comments:

  1. That's cool Kasey! I posted today on Twitter about Flipped Classrooms. I was wondering if our classmates had tried it yet. The answer was no, but they also want to try. One of my concerns is the access question - what about kids without Internet at home? I wish you success with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do it about once a month right now and every time I have, its been pretty successful. Because my school is one to one with ipads, access isn't something I guess I normally think about. I've never had a problem with it because if my students don't have internet at home, they have access at school all day. But I could see how that would be an issue without one to one. If you are trying flipping the classroom, one of the biggest tips I can give to you that I made the mistake when I tried the first few times is to make the videos 3-5 minutes and make sure they are your videos. The students are use to you teaching and it feels more personal to them I found if you make them yourself.

    ReplyDelete