Friday, July 3, 2015

I just made my first podcast. I never like listening to myself talk! Its also hard sometimes for me to think about podcasts in the sense of a math class because math is a very visual subject. Normally what I do for my students is record screencast videos for them to watch at home. Then they can see the problem being worked out in front of them instead of me just talking about it. However, after a lot of thinking, I decided to go a different route and not talk about how to do a problem but instead something else I discuss with my students a lot throughout the year, math in real life situations. I find that students have a hard time connecting math into the things they do on an everyday basis, so I decided that I would create a series of podcasts on each of the topics I teach and explain real life applications and careers that use the topic. I know that this is important information for the students to hear. When they can make the connection to something real, the material becomes more than just a lesson into something they actually want to learn. In my Algebra 1 course I teach 8 topics so I plan on making one podcast for each of them to have the student listen to before we start the unit. Then they understand the importance and relevance. 

Here's the podcast if you want to listen!


https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx7x4KPyC7U_V0hqb2s2b241WFE/view?usp=sharing

1 comment:

  1. Cool intro! Love the concept of math in everyday situations. One of my favorite questions (not really) is "When am I every going to use this?" This podcast and its concept would help alleviate that question at least for one week. :-)

    ReplyDelete